call: 0333 577 0801


All horses, ponies, donkeys and related animals MUST have a horse passport.

The passport booklet is a bound document that identifies your animal by its height, species and markings. It also states whether your animal can enter the food chain at the end of its life. NOTE: It is VHS-ID policy to assume that the animal is NOT intended for human consumption by default. We must be notified on the application form if this is not the case.

The passport must be with the animal at all times (secured at livery premises if appropriate) and may need to be shown on demand to a local authority officer, or when a vet examines and treats your animal.

It is a criminal offence to have an equine in your possesion without a valid passport. Contact your local trading standards office if you suspect someone is keeping an animal without a passport.

Applying for a horse passport

To apply for your first horse passport, you must be the owner of the horse. You can not apply on someone else's behalf. The horse should be micro-chipped by a registered vet before you apply for a passport. You should then complete the Application Form, and send it to us with the relevant fees. Your vet will need to complete the Microchip section with you, and sign to confirm its accuracy.

You must get the foal microchipped and have a passport before it's 6 months old, or by 31st December in its year of birth (whichever is later).

Using your horse passport.

You will need to be able to show your horse passport on demand from a local authority enforcement officer. It will also need to be available at other times such as when you sell the animal, it needs medical attention, and when the animal dies.

You must give the passport to the new owner when you hand over the animal. You could be prosecuted if you dont.

Make sure you receive the passport of any animal that you buy. You must apply for a Change of Ownership from the issuing PIO within 30 days.

You need to give your passport to the vet before they start medical treatment. The passport can influence the type of medications that the vet can administer. The vet will sign an animal out of the food chain if they adminitser medicine that prevents it from entering.

When the animal dies, you need to send the passport to the PIO that issued it to have it invalidated. It's an offence if you do not do this within 30 days. You can ask for the passport to be returned to you once cancelled.

Replace a lost passport

If you've lost your horse passport, you will need to apply for a new one from the PIO that issued it. If you dont know which office that was, please contact us with as much information as possible. A horse that has a replacement passport issued is banned from entering the food chain at the end of its life.